Monday, April 16, 2007

Customer Service

I heard recently that customers come to my store "with Wal-mart money expecting Barney's service". How true it is. The other day I saw a woman (who looked about 35 to me) come out of the dressing room with no clothes, only a pair of shoes. Our exchange when like this:

me: (confused)"Did you not bring any clothes into the dressing room with you?"
her: (brightly)"Oh no, I left them in there" (she starts again to turn away.
me: (nicely though seriously)"Could you please go in and bring them back out (and put them on the dressing room merchandise rack)"
her: (somewhat indignent) "Isn't that your job!?!"
me: "No, that is not my job" I don't get paid to pick up after you like I am your babysitter
her: "Well, everyone else let them in there" (she starts walking back towards the dressing room)
me: "And you are contributing to the mess.?" You are probably the same woman who would go and complain that the dressing rooms are 'dirty' despite having 'made it that way yourself'
(The woman goes in and comes back out with a few articles of clothing, some of which are inside out)
me: "Thank you" (I was

Despite my utter confusing at a grown woman seemingly having no sense of proper etiquette concerning dressing room behaviors, this woman did have a few redeeming features. A) she was gracious enough to correct what she had formerly assumed proper behavior, B) She had also muttered something about telling someone else what I had said when going back into the dressing room... in that she would inform them to bring their clothes out as well sort of comment.

Many stores have regular fitting room attendants who hand out numbers and make sure you bring back out the same number of articles of clothing that you brought in with you. Just because we aren't like that it seems there is a problem with people having clothes wars. I have gone into a dressing room on occasion where it looks like someone took everything turned inside out, tied it in knots, and got into a clothes throwing battle. Is there no respect for the clothes, the people who work in the store, or the other people who use the fitting room? What a sad state we are in, if in fact so many people lack respect for others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home